Sunday 5 April 2009

Living in a Fantasy World

Around twelve years ago, I was visiting my Parents before traveling over to my friend Chris's House to DM a game.

My older Brother was there, and caught me mid-conversation with my Mother (Hazel) who always took an interest in my Hobby as she too had a very active imagination.

My Brother, in his usual arrogant and pushy way passed comment - "You want to stop living in a fantasy world mate"- rather than argue, I simply kissed my Mum goodbye and bid farewell to my Dad and left (slightly early) for the game.

Fortunately, Chris was already home when I got there and we had one of our long and interesting chats (which still go on regularly by Email even though we don't meet up really these days) - but I digress.

A while, I had an uncharacteristic (as in he rang me more than once that day) phone call from my Dad. He was obviously irked about something. When I asked what was wrong he responded "Its your Brother, he really does live in a fantasy world".

As you can imagine, I was a little taken aback by this - and asked what my Dad meant as my Brother had always been very rooted in the real world with little or no imagination.

Basically my Brother was ignoring problems hoping they go away. Using Bill money to pay credit cards, then using the credit card to pay the bill and another credit card - and so on and so forth.

Now I am no financial Wizard, but I am pretty sure (as is my Father) that you can't do that forever without things going amiss somewhere along the line.

I guess what I am really trying to get at is that a little constructive Fantasy and Imagination is a good and positive thing, whereas ignoring your real world responsibilities is not.

Looks like my Older Brother is the one living in a Fantasy world really . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment