There are no averages, no middle ground - you are either talented at something or you struggle.
What I want to do is introduce the idea of Secondary and Tertiary Attributes.
We all know how Prime attributes work, with the Challenge Base being set at 12+.
The idea behind this is simple - rather than all other attributes being set at 18+, Secondary attributes have a Challenge Base of 15+, and Tertiary have a Challenge Bevel of 18+.
Humans pick three Primes, two Secondary’s, and one Tertiary. Non-Humans pick two Primes, three Secondary’s, and one Tertiary.
This way Non-Humans aren’t quite as penalized, and you get a more realistic spread (the Saving Throws for example are more in line with AD&D). However, ONE of your choices still has to be the Prime of the Class you have chosen.
So, to sum up –
- Humans – 3 Primes, 2 Secondary’s, 1 Tertiary.
- Non-Humans – 2 Primes, 3 Secondary’s, 1 Tertiary.
- One of your Primes MUST belong to the Character Class chosen.
- Prime Challenge Base – 12+
- Secondary Challenge Base – 15+
- Tertiary Challenge Base – 18+